Cabin Crew Online Video Interview Explained
The online video interview is sometimes a step included in the online application for the cabin crew position.
The summary of an online video interview:
- The video interview consists of generic questions that apply to all experience levels.
- You will receive these questions one by one.
- From the moment you see the question, you will have an opportunity to rehearse your answer for up to one minute, then record your final answer and submit it for the recruiters’ review.
- The video screen has a head and shoulders shape that you can use to position your camera correctly. Once that is done, go to the next step.
- Click “start recording.”
- Record your answer and submit it.
- Once all questions are answered and submitted, you will be automatically redirected to the primary application portal for the next steps.
Once you submit your interview, you cannot modify it.
Sample questions for the cabin crew video interview
Explain why your background and experience would be a good fit for this job.
Tell us your best work achievement to this point in your career. What made this achievement important?
Describe a difficult task you were faced with and how you addressed it.
What is excellent customer service for you?
Tell us how you recharge after a busy day.
What was the best thing about your school experience?
What is the one country you want to visit and why?
What do you think is exceptional customer service?
At this stage of your career, why is our airline the right opportunity for you?
The online video interview allows the airline to get to know you better.
Here are some things to know so you can show your absolute best self during the cabin crew online video interview:
1. It does not require special equipment
Besides a computer equipped with a camera or a mobile device – a smartphone or tablet with a front camera, you will not need access to a professional video camera or a studio.
It does not require uploading a video on YouTube or independently recording a message for the recruitment team. You will be given every step while filling out your online profile, so don’t start working on videos before the application.
2. The online video interview is not a live conversation.
The computer randomly chooses the questions you receive from a collection of questions. There isn’t a person who will listen to your video immediately after you press “start recording,” and there will not be a follow-up to your answer. Your answer must be well-structured, straightforward, and brief.
3. You will have time to rehearse your answers.
Once you receive a question, you can rehearse your answer for up to 1 minute.
4. Your appearance must be exquisite
Regardless of the selection method, any appearance in front of the airline should be spotless. You should wear business attire (you can skip the shoes), put on makeup (ladies only), and neatly arrange your hair.
How you present yourself during a formal interview should be the same as you behave during the video interview.
5. You don’t need previous experience doing video interviews.
Most smartphone users have applications to facilitate video calls or other forms of video communication, such as WhatsApp Video, FaceTime, Facebook Live, Instagram Live, etc.
A video interview is not much different than that.
The airline is not looking for perfect video performance but genuine, prepared, and enthusiastic candidates willing to share important parts of their lives and personality.
Because many candidates often get nervous and self-aware in front of the camera, there is also the option to hide the video while answering the question, so you won’t see yourself while responding.
6. First impressions are lasting impressions.
While most candidates are required to come in person to the Open Days to establish a first impression, an online video interview allows the candidates to do so without traveling, taking time off work, or waiting in line for a long time.
Moreover, from the recruiter’s perspective, they will not be pressured by time or the number of candidates in attendance to decide who gets a chance to participate in an assessment.
7. Your video interview is included to support your application, not to make it.
Your CV is still the strongest pillar of your application. Your photos are as well essential. The online video interview will address other aspects, such as:
- Spoken level of English is advanced enough for an extended interview (clear, simple, and easy to understand)
- A high level of personal presentation and compliance with interview etiquette (wear business attire, put on makeup, and do your hair)
- How the answers are structured will establish you as a strong candidate. Aim to talk about relevant experience and what you can do for them, not the other way around. Generally, your purpose is to ignite their curiosity in your profile. After they have watched your presentation, their thought should be, “I want to know more about this candidate.”
The video interview alone will not be a deciding factor for the recruiters, but it will add tremendous value to your CV.
8. The more you rehearse your answers, the better they will get
Even though you are not required to submit an independent video, the more familiar you get with talking to your computer or phone camera, the better the presentation will get and the more relaxed you will be.
Download the free 25 Questions and Answers, put on the camera on your phone, and start answering the questions provided. Ask a good friend or family member to watch your videos and offer helpful feedback. When the day comes, you will be ready!
9. No question should come as a surprise.
A strong candidate thinks in advance and prepares answers. During the interview, the one feeling you should not feel is surprised.
You’re already here, reading about this stage. Now familiarize yourself with the questions that might come up and how to answer them.
The online video interview is a valuable part of the cabin crew recruitment.
It is wonderful for you because instead of spending time waiting for your turn to get 2 minutes with a recruiters, hoping they will notice your CV, you can now decide on the time you want to start the application, rehearse your answers and polish your presentation.
When your application gets shortlisted and you get invited for an assessment, you already know that they consider you a suitable candidate.
It is also helpful for the airline. Instead of spending precious time in person with candidates who may not be what the airline is aiming for, the pre-selection will be done remotely.
Here is where you can learn more and practice the online video interview.
To apply for Emirates Cabin Crew, click here.
To apply for Etihad Cabin Crew, click here.
To apply for Qatar Airways Cabin Crew, click here.
Get the Cabin Crew Recruitment Schedule
Delivered to your inbox, you will get our monthly newsletter with the latest cabin crew recruitment events organized by Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways worldwide.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.